If you hadn’t yet noticed, Facebook made a pretty significant change to your Facebook page this week and it might make you a little bit upset!
If you had an email address listed in the “About” section of your timeline, it no longer is displayed. Nope, Facebook decided that you would rather use your Facebook email address. (Cue the guy muttering something under his breath about not even having a Facebook email account). Ahh, but you do! Facebook gave it to you one night while you were sleeping!
Now don’t worry, you can change it back to your preferred email address. It’s still there. I will guide you through the simple process in a moment.
The question is: “Why?” What does Facebook stand to gain by doing this and risking ticking off most, if not all, of its 900+ million users? As Facebook continues to wipe the egg off of its red face in the aftermath of its ill-fated IPO, you would think that the directive from the new Board of Directors would be, “Let’s not do anything stupid . . . not yet.”
But Facebook has always preferred asking for forgiveness over asking for permission. Besides, this is reversible . . . where’s the real harm? Not unlike bullies on a school bus, Facebook continues to taunt and do as they please, taking a “We’re f’ing Facebook . . . deal with it” attitude. I can’t help but think that the public will eventually have had enough. I just don’t see any signs of that yet.
How to switch back to your old email
- Go to your Timeline (your name, not “Home” in the top right of your screen)
- Below your small profile picture, click on “About”
- Under “Contact Info” heading, click on “Edit”
- You will see a list of all emails associated with your account. The new Facebook email account will be the only active account (grey circle, no slash).
- Click on the grey circle to the right of the Facebook email account
- Click on “Hidden from Timeline”
- Do the same for any email addresses you want Public by clicking on the circle to the right of it and clicking “Shown of Timeline”
- Once you are satisfied with the setup, scroll to the bottom of the box and click “Save”
That’s all there is to it! Now scratch your head like I am doing . . .